I am so fortunate to be blogger buddies with Sophia from Silk and Spice. If you don’t know her, you’re missing out! She posts the absolute best healthy vegan and vegetarian food on her blog. I love her Raw Pad Thai and her Savoury Zucchini Muffins.
In addition to being a fab cook, Sophia is wonderfully supportive. I always appreciate the thoughtful comments she leaves on my blog. And today I’m honored to share her healthy, yet delicious Chocolate Brownies With Fleur De Sel. Just wait till you see what the secret ingredient is!
Sophia’s Chocolate Brownies With Fleur De Sel
I was so honoured when Celeste contacted me about writing a guest post for her lovely blog. I joined WordPress six months ago, and Celeste was the first person to write me a kind message and welcome me to this big, bad world of blogging. All jokes aside, Honk If You’re Vegan was the first blog I followed on here, and today, it is with great pleasure that I share one of my recipes with all of Celeste’s readers!
I adopted a vegetarian diet three years ago and the biggest excitement for me was the discovery of vegan baking. I didn’t know (more like didn’t try to learn) how to cook until I started eating vegetarian, but I always loved to bake. Of course, like many, my recipes always consisted of buttery batters, and cookie doughs that you probably shouldn’t lick off the spoon raw. When I became vegetarian, a whole new world of culinary experiences opened up.
Although I am not vegan, it turned out most of the meals I made were dairy-free. This just ignited my curiosity for dairy-free baking. I remember going out for dinner with friends in the early years of vegan baking discoveries, and I was overly excited to share a bag of cowgirl cookies that I brought along for desert. They were completely vegan and once I stated that to my friends, suddenly, they were apprehensive.
I started to realize at that moment, that not everyone was going to share in my excitement for vegan goodies. I suspect many have experienced cardboard tasting cookies, or flavourless cakes, but I was determined to satisfy even the biggest critics. Needless to say, the cookies rocked, but from that moment on – I knew I had big shoes to fill with the statement “they’re vegan!”
Enter my gluten-free, refined-sugar free, VEGAN brownies. The hidden ingredient in these brownies is a fantastic vegan substitute for butter, and I promise the flavour of luscious chocolate will not be affected! I’m talking about avocados, of course. What better way to add at least 20 more vitamins and minerals to chocolate brownies.
I like my brownies fudgy with a slightly crispy top, and that’s just what you get with these. As for the addition of fleur de sel, I don’t think there is a better combination on our lovely planet than chocolate + salt! Let’s get started…
Chocolate Brownies With Fleur De Sel (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
Makes an 8×8″ pan of brownies
- 1 cup gluten-free flour mix (I love Bob’s Red Mills Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unrefined sugar (I use organic crystal cane sugar)
- pinch of salt
- 1 large mashed ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 c. vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons rice milk (or soy or almond)
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- fleur de sel for garnish
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, xanthan gum, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Mix well.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or stove top. Pour into a separate large bowl. Add sugar, oil, avocado, and milk. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet stirring until combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased 8×8″ pan. Sprinkle with a pinch of fleur de sel.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Do not over cook or you will end up with a cake-like consistency. Remove and let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Enjoy! (Can be stored in an airtight container on the counter).