Want to lose weight? Dramatically reduce your risk for cancer heart disease and a host of other diseases? Enjoy superior health? Live a long, healthy life? You can find answers to all these questions in Joel Fuhrman’s Eat to Live.
Don’t have time to read? No worries – here’s Fuhrman’s main points in a nutshell.
7 Simple Steps to Superior Health
- Eat lots of raw fruits and veggies. Fuhrman says that, “Diets with little raw foods are not ideal. As the amount of raw fruits and vegetables are increased in a person’s diet, weight loss and blood pressure are lowered effortlessly.” He also says that, “Consuming a significant quantity of raw foods is essential for superior health.” And make sure that a lot of your raw veggies are leafy greens since research has consistently shown they are associated with a long life.
- Eat beans or legumes everyday. “Legume or bean intake, says Fuhrman, “is an important variable in the promotion of long life.” Among other benefits, they protect against reproductive cancers, such as breast and prostate cancer.
- Eat at least 4 servings of fresh fruit a day. Fruits have a strong correlation with longevity in humans, so Fuhrman encourages his patients to eat at least four fresh fruits per day.
- Avoid drinking fruit juice. Fuhrman says that, “too much fiber and too many nutrients are removed during juicing, and many of the remaining nutrients are lost through processing, heat, and storage time. He also warns that, “liquid calories, without the fiber present in the whole food, have little effect in blunting our caloric drive.” He notes, however; that freshly squeezed juice is okay for those not needing to lose weight so long as it doesn’t serve as a substitute for eating fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Eliminate meat and dairy from your diet. According to Fuhrman, “more than 3,500 scientific studies involving more than 15,000 research scientists report a relationship between consumption of meats, poultry, eggs and dairy products and the incidence of heart disease, cancer, kidney failure, constipation, gallstones and hemorrhoids, just to name a few health problems.
- Get your fats from whole foods. Fuhrman notes that, “Americans consume large quantities of oil, a refined food processed at high temperatures. When oils are subject to heat, the chemical structure of the essential fatty acids is changed to create toxic derivatives known as lipid peroxides and other toxic and potentially cancer-causing by-products.” Thus it is better to consume fats the way nature intended, from whole foods like flaxseeds, avocados and nuts. Fuhrman recommends eating a tablespoon of ground flaxseeds everyday and up to an ounce of nuts and seeds per day.
- Eat lots of mushrooms. Fuhrman says that mushrooms “contain a variety of powerful phytochemicals and have been linked to decreased risk of chronic diseases, especially cancer.”
Interested in more info? Here’s some links:)
Milk…It Does a Body Bad!
What is a Plant-Strong Diet?
Forks Over Knives
Engine 2 Diet
Plant-Based Diet for Beginners: How to Get Started
Forks Over Knives – the Revelation
Your #1 Step Towards a Plant-Based Diet
Benefits of a Plant-Based Diet – Some of Them!
Image courtesy of artemisphoto / http://www.freedigitalphotos.net